Post Drill – Quill Assembly

First I lay out the parts, hoping I remember how they go!!

img_0234img_0235

Grease then insert the threaded shaft into the flanged nut.

img_0237

Grease the bearings and race plate, slide them on.

img_0238

Grease the quill, insert it.  Place the key in the shaft drive gear, slide the quill thru the gear engaging the key properly.  Slide the quill thru the second opening.  Push the brass retainer onto the shaft (this required very delicate tapping with a mallet and small screwdriver) past the two pin holes.

Tap the two pins into the two holes that fasten the end of the screw into the end of the quill.  If these move easily you may need to rotate the quill to hold them horizontal.

Carefully tap the brass sleeve in place to hold the two pins so that they don’t fall out.

img_0240

 

 

Post Drill – Reassembly

The paint probably hasn’t cured enough for heavy use yet, but it’s a couple days dry so I have begun reassembly.

Have some grease handy!

img_0225

Start with this Gear/Shaft, Grease it and insert.

img_0226

Insert it…

img_0224

On the other side goes the Fly Wheel.

img_0227

And fix it with the square head set screw.

img_0228

Next goes the gear with the eccentric lobe that drives the drill advance.  It’s attached with the large threaded shaft.

img_0229

Grease it and together it goes.

img_0230

Next we attach the ratcheting arm.  It rests against the knurled adjustment screw in operation.

img_0231

Grease the shaft on the screw and attach it.  Lettering facing out.  Insert the adjustment screw.

img_0233

Next up — the drill quill.

 

Post Drill – Lettering

I couldn’t help myself.  The lettering on the drill press is just cool.  It deserved to be highlighted.  A little bit of metallic gold paint and it really pops!

img_0212img_0210

I expect to do a bit of touchup once this dries.  A little bit of the black on a q-tip to clean up an misplaced gold.

I picked up the paint and a little foam flat tip brush to apply it with.  Bought at Michaels.

img_0213

Stanley 46 – Cutters

An problem with antique/vintage planes is finding all the bits that are usually lost.  Sometimes you find a plane with one rusty cutter installed, sometimes with none.

Fortunately there is a guy making reproduction parts for Stanley planes, and he has available a full set of cutters in the sizes original to the plane.  Since Stanley never made a 3/4″ cutter for the #46, but woodworkers today often use that size lumber, he also makes one of those!

You can find them here:  St James Bay Tool Company

I called, spoke with the proprietor and maker.  Super nice guy!  Highly recommended.

 

Stanley #46 Plane

Billed as an Adjustable Dado and Plow Plane, this plane is “fabulous worker, much better than the #45” (The Superior Works).  I am drawn to the interesting design, very similar to the other overly complex combination planes Stanley made.  This one is different, and better, because it has a skewed iron.  It can do dadoes and cross grain rabbits.

I picked this up on eBay cheaply.  It looks a bit corroded in the pictures, but I am pretty sure it will clean up beautifully.

s-l1600-1s-l1600-2s-l1600-3s-l1600-4s-l1600-5s-l1600

Post Drill – Painting

It would be nice to say that I agonized over the paint color, consulted historical sources, and choose the perfect color to stay true to the original.

But, instead I found two cans of Rustoleum Hammered Black rattle cans at the back of my supply cabinet.  Seems fine to be black!  Given the rough casting of the original parts and rust pitting the hammered effect might be a good fit.

Here is the first coat on the first side of those parts that are getting paint:

img_0206img_0205img_0207

Post Drill – Cleaning

The drill turns out to be in pretty good shape.  It was well oiled and greased.  Of course that old grease and dirt has hardened.  And the bits not covered with gummy grease is rusty.

Lots of WD-40 to penetrate the seized screws, bolts and nuts.  A couple of hours of disassembly.  I will be making new wooden handles on my lathe, which is good because the two of these were pinned and peened in place.  No choice but to cut them off with a hacksaw.

Disassembled I spent 4 hours with a brash brush.  Used an 8″ on my grinder where I could (variable speed turned down low), and a hand brush where I had to.  WHEW!  But here she is ready for paint: